Because there’s one episode of Rizzoli & Isles left, and I’m emo about it.
1. The time Hoyt almost killed Jane. The time Jane got payback.
2. Maura knowing everything, always. Even more than Wikipedia, which isn’t rigorously peer-reviewed.
3. The Jasey shippers on Facebook who legitimately confused the hell out of the rest of us.
4. That speed-dating promo. That speed-dating promo.
5. The continuity issues, the social media missteps, the character evolution that didn’t always go the way we wanted. And what the heck was up with the nun?
6. The live streaming across the globe. Staying up too late or waking up too early. Being sleepy every Tuesday, then every Wednesday, then back to Tuesdays again, but never minding. The bright, jarring loudness of American commercials. (Why so many car commercials? Seriously, why?)
7. The death of Lee Thompson Young. The outreach from the Glee fanbase, who’d lost Cory Monteith earlier that year, and the foundation set up in Lee’s name.
8. The advent of a new executive producer; the hopefulness; the reality.
9. Jan Nash’s blurry. fucking. pictures.
10. Jane’s hatred of Kent. Everyone’s hatred of Kent.
11. The time Maura wore Jane’s pant suit. The time Jane wore Maura’s blouse.
12. Flowers every year on the first day of filming. Yearbooks during the only wrap week without a “See you next season.”
13. The rushing stream of fan fiction that tapered to a trickle but never petered out entirely. The friendships and romances that bloomed around it.
14. The time the wrong Rizzoli proposed.
15. Jane’s ponytail of justice. Maura’s black scrubs. Angela’s throaty laugh. Korsak’s wheeze of a chuckle. The sparkle in Nina’s eyes, and the puppy-dog quality of Frankie’s. Frost’s sweet, timeless smile.
16. “Rizzoli.” “Isles.”
17. The fans who stopped watching, and the ones who swore they would but couldn’t go through with it. The people tuning in to the finale even if they haven’t watched in months, in years.
18. The requisite fandom drama. Favoritism, vying for attention, the thrill of a retweet or a like or a reply or a DM. The Sashanistas and the Twangels. The enduring friendships forged despite all of it, or maybe because of it.
19. The mattress scene.
20. Crossing the finish line of the Massachusetts Marathon.
21. Jane’s profile on a gay dating website.
22. Jane playing softball. Maura cheering her on in the stands.
23. Maura ordering a custom sabre guard so Jane could pick her out of the crowd at fencing tournaments.
24. “Are we having a sleepover, or is this your way of telling me you’re attracted to me?”
25. And Guardian Chogokin standing watch till the end.