London-based Singer/Songwriter Johnny Lucas – continuing to ride the wave of critical acclaim following the release of his debut album ‘Attention’ last year – hopes to build upon that success with his latest single release ‘Lilo.’
Following up our review of his latest single ‘Lilo,’ we at PopCityLife corresponded with Johnny Lucas via e-mail, below is what followed:
1. For those that may be unfamiliar with your work, who is Johnny Lucas in a nutshell?
I’m a singer/songwriter born and bred up north in Warrington but now I’m based in London. I write catchy, feel good, Indie-Pop designed to put a smile on your face and get you clapping and singing. I’m also good at cooking:)
2. Watching your live performances, there is a good amount of crowd interaction, was that something you have always done, or something that developed?
I remember my 1st ever gig which was at a youth club in front of all my school mates. There was very little crowd interaction with that because I was like a rabbit in the headlights just trying to play the songs right. The crowd participation has only come from doing loads of shows to lots of different crowds. So now when I’m playing my shows I use a lot of it because it really draws the room in so that they can feel part of what I’m doing.
3. Essentially a one-man band on stage, what’s that like, and how did that come about?
This question kind of ties into the last one because a lot of the reason why I do a lot of crowd participation is because I’m on my own on stage and it feels like the audience are part of the band when I get them involved!
4. You are getting on a lot of radars these days, what has that been like?
5. There is a quirky element to much of your music, what do you attribute that to?
6. What is the songwriting process like for you?
7. With the release of ‘Lilo,’ a lot more people are discovering your music, what has the fan reception been like?
8. What’s up next for Johnny Lucas?
Next up is the release of the Lilo EP which will have 4/5 songs on including Lilo. I’m going to be releasing this before Christmas around November time. There’s another song which is going down extremely well live called, “Dance On Clouds” so that will definitely be on the EP.